Saturday, March 20, 2010

Breaking up is hard to do

The day passed by in a whirl, I felt like an extra from Harry Potter in my gown and mortar board, a drum accompanied the procession through the grand hall with my lecturers dressed in a fine array of furry, silk, floaty capes and some strange looking hats. The pictures took forever and friends and family stood about trying not to look bored. I could tell her parents were wishing they were on the beach and Taylor just looked like he didn’t know where to put himself, poor guy.

We went to the union bar for one last pint of snakebite before leaving. Taylor kept looking at me expectantly. Selfishly, I really didn’t want to deal with him today. We walked backed to the house in the afternoon sun, feeling slightly tipsy from the beer and wine. Taylor grabbed hold of my hand and slowed me down. ‘You’ve barely spoken to me all day!’ he whispered angrily. ‘You pick your days don’t you’ I responded bitterly. ‘When else am I supposed to talk to you? You never answer your phone or reply to my texts. What the hell’s going on?’ I sighed, I felt so bad and just didn’t know what to say to him, he didn’t deserve this.

‘I’m sorry, I really am. Things have been crazy and I needed some time to work out what was going on,’ ambiguous as ever. ‘And what is going on?’ he stopped me and looked into me eyes. ‘What do you want me to say? I don’t know. Things have changed. We want different things and I need time to work out if we can work this out.’

‘I won’t wait much longer,’ he had tears in his eyes as he turned and walked towards my parent’s car.

No comments: